How to Melt Candles or Candle Wax

How to Make a Double Boiler for Melting Candle Wax

To melt candles or candle wax you will need to set up a double boiler on your stove top. It's not a good idea to melt candle wax in the microwave as it's difficult to control the temperature and you risk overheating the wax. It may even explode or turn into a large, hot waxy monster - who knows? why try to find out?

To set up a double boiler you will need:
  • A stove
  • A saucepan with a steamer attachment
  • Several tin cans (the kind your tinned food comes in), washed and dried
  • A pair of tongs
  • A hot mat and pot mitts or a thick cloth

1. Fill the saucepan up to the line where the steamer attachment joins on and place them the stove with the lid on (it will heat up faster).

Saucepan with a steamer attachment on my old school stove

2. Bring the water to the boil then turn it down to a light simmer (you'll find it's about 2-3 if your stoves goes up to 5 or 6)

3. Place your broken wax bits into a tin can with your color (piece of crayon or wax colour) and sit in the steamer basket. Leave the pot lids handy so if the wax catches fire you can suffocate the flames with a lid while you grab the fire extinguisher you have nearby (don't you!?) and remember never to leave melting wax unattended.

Cut the wax into small pieces and don't fill the tin more than half way so it melts quickly

4. Alternatively, if you don't have a steamer place the tin carefully into the pan of water so it just floats off the bottom (if the tin sits flat on the bottom of the pot bubbles form underneath and will tip the tin over)


Squeeze the top of the tin when you prepare it to make a pouring spout for your wax

5. As the wax melts stir it with a wooden skewer or ice cream stick

6. Remove the tin from the stove with tongs or a pot mitt and sit onto a hot mat while you re-grip the tin to pour the wax into your mold.

Pouring the wax into a mold from the tin
General Safety Warning:
Stoves are hot and stuff! Don't burn yourself on them because it hurts and sucks. If you burn yourself put the burnt area under cold water for 10 minutes but no longer than 20 minutes and seek medical help. Don't put butter on burns - you are not a sandwich.

General Safety Warning 2: Candles are hot! The are flamey and have burny bits. Never leave a candle unattended or it may get lonely and burn down your house.

No comments:

Post a Comment