Craft Project: How to Reuse an Old Candle in a Jar

Note on Reusing Old Candles:
For background info on candle making check out: How to reuse old candles, how to melt candle wax and how to prepare a candle wick - this project will skip repeating those instructions so if you get lost at any point refer to the previous articles. 

Before...

That pretty candle in a jar you've burnt down to the end of it's wick doesn't have to be thrown away just because it's finished. Here's how to reuse the candle jar and make a new candle from the old wax. 






...after! These candles were made reusing old glass tea lite holders

For this Craft Project you will need:

An old candle in a jar such as this tea lite in a glass holder
A double boiler
Container candle wax (new or from other old candles)
Candle color (commercial dye or wax crayons)
Prepared wick

1. Set up the double boiler (a pot with a steamer basket) on the stove and bring the water to the boil. 

The wax sits in a tin can inside the steamer basket where it can melt safely

 2. Remove as much wax as possible from the jar with a knife end or a small screwdriver then put the jar upside down in the steamer basket of the double boiler, the heat of the steam will melt the remaining wax and it will fall into the water in the pot below. Remove the jar and dry it with a cloth.

3. Set the new wick into the jar

For a deep jar with a long wick, wrap the end of the wick around a wooden skewer to keep it upright in the wax
 4. Melt some wax, color it if desired and gently pour into the candle jar. 

4a. To create the layered effect on this candle, fill the jar one third with one color wax. Leave to set. Then top up the next third with another color and finish the final third with yet another color or reuse the first color wax. Remember to top up your final layer after the wax sets and settles in a dip around the wick. 

Use wooden skewers, or even pencils, to keep tea lite wicks in place while the wax sets

 5. Leave to set, trim the wick to 5mm above the wax and your new candle is good to go!


Craft Project: Candle made in an old preserving jar

Craft Project: Candle made in a vintage candy tin


General Crafting Safety Warning:
Stoves are hot and stuff! Don't burn yourself on them because it hurts and sucks. If you burn yourself put the burnt area under cold water for 10 minutes but no longer than 20 minutes and seek medical help. You may also wish to hire someone to supervise you in the future. 

General Crafting Safety Warning 2: Candles are hot! The are flamey and have burny bits. Never leave a candle unattended or your dinner guests may place "napkin chicken" accross the table whereby they set fire to your $20 paper napkins and throw them across the table - the looser is the one who catches fire before someone can put out the flames with the Moet you were saving to impress your inlaws...

No comments:

Post a Comment