|Before: A boring storage barrell|
|After: Fabbo wine-holding coffee table|
To craft this decoupage coffee table you will need:
- Storage barrel or an old coffee table
- Paper for decoupage such as wrapping paper, sheet music, newspaper, photos, craft paper etc.
- Spray-on glue (I used 3M multi purpose glue)
- Dry rub-on temporary tattoos
- Paint brush
- Clear polyurethane
1. First I removed excess labels and loose tape off the barrel and gave the barrel a wipe down with a dry cloth. This is a good project to do outside because the glue and polyurethane need to be used in a well ventilated area.
2. Spray a sheet of paper with glue and stick it on. Stick the middle of the sheet on first and smooth it out to the edges. I lined the sheets up with the top of the barrel so they sat neatly along the edge but you could let them all overhang and trim with a craft knife later
|Just spray with a little craft glue...|
|...and stick! (I also used the PVA craft glue in the background to touch up the edges)|
|Add details with dry rub-on tattoos; they're great for paper craft projects|
6. Add 2-3 more coats of polyurethane until you are happy with the final look. Remember to leave the barrel to dry overnight between coats (check the tin but most need 10-12 hours drying time). Add 1-2 extra coats onto the lid as this surface will have the most wear.
If you get paint drips or bubbles, sand the dry surface with a fine grade sandpaper before you paint on the next coat of polyurethane
7. Clip the lid back on and admire your furniture-making genius!
|My crafty coffee table!|
More Decoupage Craft Ideas