I created this gluten and dairy free chocolate slice for my friend Holly when she wasn't able to eat any wheat, dairy or soy but was feeling majorly chocolate deprived!
There's lots of room for experimenting with the dry ingredients - just get the quantities right and have a play.
"Traditional" Holly Slice was made with chopped peanuts, sunflower and pumpkin seeds and dried apricots because they're cheapest!
- 140 grams ground almonds
- 1/2 cup of dessicated coconut
- 1/2 cup of chopped roasted, unsalted nuts or seeds (peanuts, almonds, hazelnuts, sunflower or pumpkin seeds...)
- 1/2 cup of diced dried apricots, dried strawberries, sultanas or glace cherries
-Throw all these ingredients into a bowl and mix together
- 100 grams dairy-free spread (I use Olivio)
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- 3 Tablespoons of cocoa powder (or more to taste...)
- 2 Tablespoons of golden or maple syrup
Melt together in a saucepan and stir like crazy until the sugar is dissolved. Let the mixture bubble away (keep stirring!) and simmer for 5 minutes.
Take the pot off the heat and, still stirring like mad, slowly add one beaten egg and mix well. If you dither or blop the egg into the liquid in one go it will scramble instead of mixing properly into the liquid.
Pour the hot chocolate-y mixture into the dry ingredients and mix well, add a teaspoon of vanilla or almond essence as you go
Make teaspoonfuls of mix into nice little balls and roll in coconut or cocoa power or to hell with that much effort and bung the mixture into a pan to set and cut into pieces (sprinkle some dessicated coconut in the bottom of the pan and the slice will flip out easy as).